Wednesday, July 2, 2014

I'm in a storytelling mood this morning.... So why not make it a bit personal...

I had just finished college, life was sort of chaotic... But I was looking forward to my birthday and a two week camping excursion with my dad.... My birthdaywas a Friday that year and I was set to leave for a small farm in Indiana and was so excited to take part in a BIG rendezvous, pre-1840s style...

After a 2 hour drive, I pulled up to the gate and dad was waiting there for me, anxiously. He and a few others along with a young man who caught my attention... All smiles. Apparently, as I am told today, dad was as giddy as a school girl about my arrival and had been talking about me for months during preparations...

I got settled in and shown the tour and here comes the "boy" again.
Introductions were made and we became fast friends. As the first few days went on, we found ourselves inseparable. There was so much to see and do and he was thoroughly enjoying proving himself and his knowledge. Me, being 5 years older, thought it was "cute." He was cute, and there was something about him and all the memories we made in that two weeks that have never left me.

First photo - JC and my father, in a picture I took that summer of 2001. JC was wearing a kilt.

Fast forward, 12 years...

We both had lives that we went on to live. And in 2012 my dad suddenly passed away...

Last year around this time, dad starting visiting my dreams. It was like giving me a tour through memories I had kept. Leading me to flash backs of my time camping with him at the Messer farm... Startled, one particular night, I got out of bed and went to my box that was filled with some small momentos, including this photo of dad and JC. JC's mom stayed in contact with me after dad's funeral. So I decided to write her a quick FB note (here is where FB can be therapeutic).

We wrote back and forth for about a week. I spilled my heart to her about things that were happening in my dreams and she helped me heal a bit from grief I was feeling for my dad.

She had been like a second mother the first moment I met her and being a redhead, like me, she has a very intuitive nature. And she knew her son, better than he likes to admit.

One day a phone number was sent to me with a note, like Alice and Wonderland, "Call This #."

I knew who it belonged to and after mustering up a bit of courage, I decided to send a text... (I didn't say I mustered up ENOUGH courage!)

There has not been a day that has gone by since that we haven't talked for hours...

Today, my life is VERY different than it was a year ago...

There was a divine plan for me, and there still is more to come.
My dad knew all those years ago, and he helped to guide me back to where I always was meant to be.

I celebrated a birthday last week. The best gift I have ever received has been this past year. The adventures in just this short time have been the best of my life, so far.

And I get to have the peace of mind that my dad played a hand in fate.

Second photo is of JC and I as we are today... He's a bit more hairy, on the chin, maybe even a bit more like my dad...

I have never felt so much love before... It stems from him, his incredible family and dearest friends... Life is as it should be, perfect...






No comments:

Post a Comment